What to do at Signal Festival 2019
This weekend, the 7th annual Signal Festival will be held throughout Prague. This year’s theme focuses on the Velvet Revolution to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the fall of Communism but also to hint at the technological revolution of the future.
The festival will transform the streets Mala Strana, Old Town, and Karlin with 3D videomapping, audiovisuals, and projections combined with art installations. The Gallery Zone exhibition combines the historic buildings of Prague with technological innovation and artistic expression. These exhibitions will make participants question their purpose in the world and ask if they are willing to fight for a better tomorrow.
A meteorite has hit the earth in architect Eva Jiricna’s “And What If It’s True” installation in the Gallery Zone (Vojanovy Sady, U Lužického semináře, Malá Strana.) Jiricna took from her typical glass and metal structures to create a bold masterpiece that creates a story with light. This exhibition sends a moral message to change bad behavior and establish order.
Memo Akten, an artist, scientist, and mathematician from Istanbul, will make his debut at the Czech Museum of Music (Karmelitská 388/2, Malá Strana.) Akten’s installation combines harmonic music with lights to create a spectacular show of science and spirituality.
Another exciting aspect of the festival is its efforts to restore greenery in the Czech Republic. The producers have joined with experts from the ecological project Sazime Stormy to plant trees in the village of Unetice. Patrons can purchase a natural tree bark brooch at the festival to support their cause.
Where to go
The opening ceremony will start at 19:00 on Thursday, October 10th. The festival’s largest installation yet will be introduced by the festival director Martin Posta and the Mayor of Prague Zdenek Hrib (Bedrich Smetana Museum, Novotného lávka 201/1, Staré Město.) The festival will be open to the public until midnight on Sunday.
- Intensive Reflections on Modernity at Bedrich Smetana Museum
- R.Evolution at Tyrs House
- Trabi at Petrin Gardens
- Simple Light Motion at the Czech Museum of Music
- 10^100 at Nostitz Garden
- Simbio at Artiseme Garden
- And What if It Was True at Vojan Gardens
- Multiverse.pan at Mirror Chapel of Clementinum
- Signal Soundscape: Inner Land Study I at Salvator Church
- Reflection at the National Gallery Prague
- The Wall at Park Lannova
- Ghost in the Machine at the Ministry of Transport
- a.r.r.c at Kooperativa Gallery
- Spaces and Possibilities at the Church of Saint Cyril and Methodius
- God’s Mill at Karlin Chimneys
- Ottantanove at Lyckovo Square
- Jacob’s Wall at Kaizel Gardens
- I’m Leaving the Body at Invalidovna
I’m Aiden Budinski, an intern for Oko magazine. I study Communication and Political Science at the State University of New York at Geneseo. I’m interested in writing, art, and seeing the world.