From November 1 to the 6, the Australian and New Zealand film festival will present a selection of screenings based on the theme of freedom. This theme was chosen to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Velvet Revolution. The films chosen for the festival aim to bring awareness to topical issues, such as women’s rights and environmental protection.
The opening film, Ladies in Black, will play at Lucerna at 8 pm. Directed by Bruce Bedford, this dramatic comedy focuses on prejudices and preconceptions about Australians. Ladies in Black has won several awards, including Best Actress, Best Original Music Score, and Best Costume Design from the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts in 2018. Additionally, the opening will feature aboriginal mission songs, sung by the indigenous Australian singer Jessie Lloyd, and photographs by Jiri Jiru in his series, “Havel in New Zealand.”
A reoccurring theme throughout the film festival is women’s self-determination. In Vai, nine female directors composed short vignettes in Fiji, Tonga, the Solomon Islands, Cook Islands, Niue, and New Zealand. These filmmakers focus on the experiences of women who leave their families and traditions behind in search of work or education.
A cult classic of Australian film, Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, the theme revolves around the freedom of sexual minorities. After the screening will be a live drag show from the group Hanky Panky to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the film. There will also be an after-party at Champagneria Bar with festival partner Foltyn Wine.
During the festival, there will be a gallery opening of the exhibition “Dreamtime: A view into the mythical world of the original inhabitants of Australia” at Champagneria Bar starting October 29. The festival will end with the screening of Daffodils, a romantic musical that highlights life in New Zealand from the 1960s to the 1980s.
- Ladies in Black at Lucerna (1.11.2019 at 8 pm)
- Vai at Ponrepo (2.11.2019 at 3 pm)
- Hibiscus and Ruthless at Ponrepo (2.11.2019 at 6 pm)
- Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert at Lucerna (2.11.2019 at 8:30 pm)
- Storm Boy at Ponrepo (3.11.2019 at 3 pm)
- Top End Wedding at Ponrepo (3.11.2019 at 6 pm)
- Buoyancy at Atlas (4.11.2019 at 5 pm)
- Mauri at Ponrepo (5.11.2019 at 6 pm)
- Daffodils at Ponrepo (6.11.2019 at 8:30 pm)
- Jessie Lloyd sings at Lucerna (1.11.2019 at 8 pm)
- Hanky Panky Drag Show at Lucerna (2.11.2019 at 8:30 pm)
- Opening of the exhibition: “Dreamtime: a view into the mythical world of the original inhabitants of Australia” at Champagneria Bar (3.11.2019 at 8 pm)
- Debate with experts: On the issues around modern-day slavery at Atlas (4.11.2019 after Buoyancy screening)
- Discussion: The journey of Czechoslovaks in search of freedom Down Under + Vaclav Havel in the Pacific (5.11.2019 at 7 pm)
- Wine tasting and Lonely Planet raffle at Ponrepo (6.11.2019 after Daffodils screening)
The event program can be found here: http://aussiefilmfest.cz/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/AKKF-program-20.pdf